The Power of a Superfood Diet
The diet I use and recommend is based on the logic that the real magic bullets for reversing nearly every disease and gaining health and vitality are found in the nutritional components of foods–especially superfoods– not pharmaceuticals (chemical, herbal or botanical formulas).
Science is proving that nutrients found in foods can help prevent nearly all the common degenerative diseases that strike us today; that they can affect our immune systems, our heart and brain…and even our DNA. Following a superfood diet can really make a difference for your health.
Drugs Just Aren’t The Answer…
As a nurse, I quickly realized the approach of conventional medicine to nearly every disease or health problem, is to give a diagnosis based on symptoms of a condition. The medical community then treats the symptoms of the disease diagnosis with over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription drugs to stop those symptoms.
Pain is eased, but the root cause may not be addressed; inflammation is stopped with anti-inflammatory medications, but the root cause of the inflammation is rarely considered. These medications offer temporary relief, but they never address the causes. And even worse, long term, many of these treatments can be hazardous to your health, producing several negative side-effects.
Two examples you may have seen on the evening news: Over-use, or over-dose, of acetaminophen (even by a small measure) can cause potentially fatal liver failure. Vioxx, a prescription anti-inflammatory, was reported to be a strong contributing factor for up to 139,000 heart attacks and strokes, forcing the FDA to withdraw it from the market in September of 2004.
The honest truth is that there just isn’t a man-made drug on the market that doesn’t have negative, and quite undesirable, side effects.
I Started By Improving What I Eat
At first I just tried to eat healthier. You know… “Eat more veggies” or “Eat more greens”. But as I tried to do this one simple thing, I discovered how addicted I was to all of the bad things in my daily diet. I kept trying harder and harder to “be good” and eat all of the right things, but I just couldn’t shake the cravings! I mean I tried so many times in so many ways!
It wasn’t until I discovered a particular wholefood/superfood line of supplements that I was able to actually shake the cravings for all of the bad things in my diet that was putting my body into chaos.
You have your own individual potential for health. Udo Erasmus, Fats that Heal – Fats that Kill
Erasmus explains that there are at least 4 natural truths that we can rely on to empower ourselves to find natural nutritional prevention for diseases through the foods we eat. The truth is we can’t expect pharmaceutical drugs or even natural herbal and botanical formulas to accomplish health goals that rely on natural factors that need to be present for a healthy life.
The 4 Natural Truths
1. Health is a natural state
• Internally Optimum health possibility is determined by our genetics. Our genes direct complex and sophisticated biological mechanisms for digestion, absorption, construction and maintenance, metabolism, protection and healing. Because individuals differ genetically, optimal health is also somewhat different for each individual.
• Externally Health is also determined by the natural environment, which provides
- Our surroundings (environment and lifestyle)
- The building blocks from which our body is constructed and continuously reconstructed (diet and water)
- Substances that can interfere with processes that underlie health and healing (toxins)
2. Our body is made from foods, water, air, and light energy
• The key to effective primary health care and reversing the effects of (your condition) is found in living as much as possible in an ideal natural setting. This means:
- Clean Water
- Clean Air
- Full spectrum light (natural light)
- Foods that are fresh, alive, raw, sun-ripened, locally grown, in season and pesticide-free
From foods, water and air our body must derive over 50 essential factors to function in a healthy way. These are factors our bodies cannot make from other substances, which include
- Essential amino acids
- Essential fatty acids
- A healthy source of energy (complex carbohydrates)
Processing removes and destroys essential nutrients in, and can actually change them into toxic substances. Deficiencies of essential nutrients and toxicity in foods have both been documented in processed foods.
3. Disease, pain or any chronic problem is a departure from health
• A departure from health is a departure from the ideal natural state, internally, externally, or both
• The most common causes of disease include malnutrition, or a deficiency of essential nutrients and/or nutrient imbalances; and toxicity. This toxicity can come from outside sources such as pollutants, heavy metals, or drugs; and internal sources, such as metabolic waste products, toxins produced by yeast, and toxins made in our body as a result of allergic reactions.
4. Disease can be reversed by changing the diet you are eating
• Reversal of (your condition) caused by malnutrition and internal pollution requires improved nutrition and detoxification
• Nutrition can be improved by the consumption of whole foods, fresh vegetables juices, super foods supplements and food concentrates
Important guiding principle for a healthier body
It should be kept in mind that a real superfood diet is one where you consume only whole foods, or foods modified minimally, instead of consuming isolated or synthetic compounds, such as single amino acids, single essential fatty acids, vitamins or mineral formulas.
Our bodies have been created to receive its essential nutrients, on a daily basis, from foods. Deficiency of any of these essential nutrients can lead to degenerative processes and degenerative diseases.
The reason we do not use or recommend herbs or isolated or man-made vitamin or mineral formulas is because nutrients work together synergistically, not separately, to improve physiological function, reduce disease risk and help the body defend itself against disease producing processes. It has been scientifically proven through clinical research that many common nutrients work far better when they are found in whole foods.
Therefore, we might think of a superfood diet as the consumption of a family of related nutrients that work together to enhance the body’s ability to function optimally throughout the genetically determined life span of the individual. How healthy an individual becomes depends on what he/she chooses to put into their body every day.
Goals of this superfood diet program
• Help you adjust your current diet. I focus in particular on the word “adjust” which is calming because it describes a process, not an event. For example, I can parallel park a car if I get to make adjustments as I go along. So that’s what you’re going to do on your journey from one end of the dietary spectrum to the other. You’re going to adjust your eating as you go along, fine tune it, in other words, until you achieve the results you seek.
I will be guiding and coaching you all along this nutritional healing diet free of charge.
• You will be seeking health, not avoiding illness. Thus, your journey is similar to a treasure hunt. If you feel yourself trying to escape illness, or if you find yourself motivated by fear rather than hope, you’ve lost your way. You are actually seeking life’s treasures, not avoiding its dangers.
• Help you seek to balance your foods in order to balance your body. Balance means a coupling of opposites, like breathing in and breathing out. All natural systems exist by coupling such opposites, and illness is a sign that one of the opposites has become too dominant, and the other too weak. (The concept of balancing acid and alkaline foods is an example of this). So with this diet you will balance the properties and functions of your foods in order to balance the properties and functions of your body.
• Give you control. You don’t have to jump in to this diet program with both feet all at once. If you choose, you may slowly change your way of living and diet to that which is more health-producing in your own timeframe. You may set up one, two or five year health goals. Take your time, for as your body begins detoxifying and healing, it will become easier and more enjoyable to follow life enhancing health practices with your diet.
I will be there for you every step of the way to coach you in creating a superfood diet. I will help you:
• Understand what offending foods to avoid
• Transition from your current diet to a wider selection of superfoods without negative reactions.
• How to eat an acid/alkaline balanced diet in order to support stronger digestion and immune health
More Superfoods Information
To learn more about the other Superfood Building Blocks and the specific recommended supplements click on the following:
• The Superfoods Health Model
• Nourish with Superfoods
• Support with Digestive Superfoods
• Renew with Specialized Superfood Formulas
This natural healing program needs to be specifically customized to your own health needs. I feel that it’s very important for the integrity of your health process that you have a health coach.
To get started in your healing process, just follow the steps below. I will email you a schedule to follow as you start taking these extraordinary supplements.
Click here to fill out the questionnaire so I can learn more about your health and any challenges. After receiving your answers, I’ll be able to customize a specific supplement program for you based on your current health and diet.
Click here to contact me with your questions.
The statements on this article have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Erasmus, Udo, 1993, Fats that heal Fats that Kill, Burnaby, BC: Alive Books.
Gaby’s Literature Review, (Oct. 2003), Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, Pg. 53