The Simple Building Blocks Health Model
A Superfood Solution
What natural therapy would be appropriate to reverse nearly any health condition and help optimize the functional integrity of your body, from the cells outward? Of all the healing models I studied, the Functional Medicine therapeutic approach of using whole foods to heal is the best approach.
Over the last 35 years I have read hundreds of holistic books to find answers to my own health challenges, including psoriasis, headaches, poor digestion and much more. Years ago, I was introduced by my physician peers a new medical discipline called Functional Medicine. I immediately understood the logic as to why most degenerative conditions occur.
I have now been working with this healing model for over three decades. It outlines how to reverse most degenerative conditions with dietary changes and superfood-based supplements.
What is Functional Medicine?
The Superfood Health Model is based on Functional Medicine principles:
- Better digestion and assimilation of foods through the use Digestive Superfoods–probiotics and enzymes
- Better nutrition through the of whole, organic and raw Superfoods
- Supporting liver and immune function with increased protection against free radical damage (oxidative stress) with Antioxidant Superfoods
- Repairing then renewing body organs and systems with Superfood Renewal Formulas
Tens of thousands of people have used this healing model to help themselves from many chronic degenerative conditions. Additionally, the Superfood Health Model has hundreds of scientific studies showing why this specific healing model and supplements help with a wide variety of health-related conditions.
With the Superfood Health model, you have a Functional Medicine approach to health and diet.
Why does Functional Medicine work?
Functional Medicine physicians believe that most chronic degenerative conditions have their origin in the malfunction of the digestive tract and the body’s detoxification system.
Since the gut is the center of over 70% of your innate immune system, it is the center of how our body interacts with the world—and how our other organs function.
Once the GI tract is normalized, the body can begin the repair and regeneration process through the addition of healthy and live foods, and superfood supplements.
Today, through the efforts of Functional Medicine doctors, we have hundreds of clinical studies and scientific research that confirm what many of us have heard so often from folk medicine practitioners: “Stomach problems are the cause of all ills”.
Here is why you should address the health of the gastrointestinal tract first, no matter what the name of the degenerative condition:
“…new information on the dynamics of the body make it clear that conditions in the digestive tract affect the entire system…degradation of the gastrointestinal environment is one of the primary points at which health is lost. What we now know is that the same toxins associated with GI dysfunction are frequently absorbed and distributed to other parts of the body including the brain….
First, toxins place a burden on the liver and the immune system. If liver overload occurs, there will be spill over, and some of the toxins will be passed on to the rest of the body through the blood and lymph.
Often, it’s a weak link in the system that will be hit by the damage – an organ that can be anywhere in the body that is most likely to be vulnerable. The vulnerability may be inherited, caused by physical injury, toxic exposure, or poor diet”.
Jeffrey Anderson, M.D., How Problems with Digestion Can Cause Illness Anywhere
In the article Harmful Flora, Len Saputo, M.D., discusses how, if the gastrointestinal tract goes out of balance and the liver detoxification system breaks down, our entire immune system can malfunction in three ways:
- Immune function can be weakened and the result called an immune suppression disease (i.e., cancer and colitis)
- Immune function can become hyper-responsive to normal stimuli; this occurs in asthma, eczema, migraine, and food allergies.
- A malfunctioning immune system can cause auto-immune reactions, where antibodies target our own tissues, as in Crohn’s Disease.
Jerry Stine, M.D., in How Digestion Works, explains that the gastrointestinal tract is the largest immune organ in our body. Eighty percent of all our protective immunoglobulins are produced in the digestive tract.
When this large, strategically placed immune system element isn’t working well, your ability to have a healthy relationship with the world around you is at risk.
The 4 R’s Solution for Most Degenerative Conditions
1) Remove: Abnormal kinds/amounts of intestinal microorganisms (parasites, bacterial pathogens, small intestinal overgrowth such as yeast, and food antigens). You use digestive nutrients (friendly bacteria and digestive enzymes) to combat “leaky gut” problems and help combat all these pathogens.
2) Replace: Hydrochloric acid, enzymes, and nutrient deficiencies. This can be addressed and replaced with digestive nutrients, fiber supplements and micronutrient rich foods.
3) Restore: Symbiotic bacteria and GI bacteria through the use of full spectrum friendly bacteria (L. acidophilus, B. bifidus, L. planetarium, L. salivarius, L. bulgaricus, etc.)
4) Repair: Replace or augment with nutrients necessary to support healing of intestinal lining, plus adequacy of calories, and adequacy of fiber. Support the liver detoxification system through the use of antioxidants and food based nutritional supplements.
The 4 R’s are a great process for the treatment of nearly all health problems.
Why Quality Of Nutritional Supplements Matters
I don’t believe vitamins and minerals should be taken in single and chemically-manufactured forms. For example, vitamins are intricate, interrelated, integrated, and united organic nutritive groups. Nature made them as an indistinguishable part of foods for the benefit of human health.
Vitamins are inseparable as working nutrients from essential co-factors, trace elements, minerals, amino acids and other elements.
Chemists have attempted to isolate and identify some of the components of these food complexes, labeling the seemingly “active” elements as vitamins or other nutrients. Yet there is no possible way that even the sum of the parts is equal to the whole. The isolated nutrient fractions are not recognized by the body as foods.
In large amounts, isolated chemicals function more like drugs, which stimulate or suppress biochemical functions, instead of providing nourishment for the cells to carry on their vital activities.
Natural, food-source vitamins are enzymatically alive. Man-made, synthetic vitamins are dead chemicals. Human health requires “live” bio-chemicals. It is simply a matter of chemistry versus biochemistry.
I prefer the use of whole food supplements for treatment of health challenges, because it is based on the philosophy that “Food is the best medicine.”
More Superfoods Information
To learn more about the other Superfood Building Blocks and the specific recommended supplements click on the following:
• Nourish with Superfoods
• Support with Digestive Superfoods
• Protect with Antioxidant Superfoods
• Renew with Specialized Superfood Formulas
This natural healing program needs to be specifically customized to your own health needs. I feel that it’s very important for the integrity of your health process that you have a health coach.
To get started in your healing process, just follow the steps below. I will email you a schedule to follow as you start taking these extraordinary supplements.
Click here to fill out your health assessment questionnaire so I can learn more about your health, any specific health challenges, and your goals. After receiving your answers, I’ll be able to customize a specific supplement program for you based on your current health and diet.
Click here to contact me with your questions.
The statements on this article have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.